Sunday, December 16, 2012

My Next Big Thing

My friend Imogen from Dancing With Dragonflies tagged me for the "Next Big Thing" blog hop, wherein I get to talk about my current WIP. I was forced to choose between my two current projects (one of them being a collaboration), and I chose the solo project, as in my head that's my next big thing, whereas the collaborative effort is an our next big thing. Anyways, here are the questions and my answers:

1. What is the working title of your book?
Artifact of Paradox (This will most likely change to something else in time.)

2. Where did the idea come from for the book?
A good while back, when I was an active member of a short story writing website, one of the monthly challenges was to "write a story about some sort of paradox." I started formulating stuff in my head for a short story, and over time it turned into a full-out novel idea.

3. What genre does your book fall under?
So I know I said that I'd be writing Steampunk the last time I talked about genres, but to be honest, I don't think I'll be able to stick to one genre in particular. This one would fall, most likely, into the Modern Fantasy category.

4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
I have actually vaguely thought about this before, and now with a little thought and searching I was able to find some people for this. So, if I were casting a movie for this book then;

Chance would be played by Matt Bomer (Except the character's hair is white...)
Aurum played by Nicholas Hoult
Discord by Justin Mader
Void played by Noah Segan

5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
I am not good at being concise. I have also never been good with one sentence summaries. I will, however, try my best.

Ancient artifacts create a parallel world and a man who wants nothing less than to be the ruler of both this new world and the real one.

6. If you plan to publish, will your book be self-published or published traditionally?
I personally can't see myself self-publishing. I am going to push as hard as I can for traditional publishing, but if worse comes worst, I might cave and self publish. We will see.

7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
So, I have been thinking on this story for two years and have started writing the "first draft" seven different times. Something has happened all of those times. This, though, will be the time I come out on top of the first draft. I promise.

8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Uh... I honestly couldn't compare it to anything. Even outside the genre I can't think of anything. It must mean I am writing something really strange and out of the water here or something...

9. Who or What inspired you to write this book?
Again, it all started with a short story challenge about two years ago. I started thinking on it then, and ever since I've just been carrying around the idea. Everyone I've ever really talked to about it has liked the idea, so I guess that means I better hurry up and write it, huh?

10. What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
Well, you know... There are all sorts of things in here and different ways for the story to go wrong. Like a game of dice that kills people. Or the curse of King Midas. Even, say, nothing (or is it something?). There's time travel and a split universe, the destruction of most of America, pradoxes (several of them, actually)... Oh! And a character with a trench coat! (Because trench coats, as everyone knows, are awesome.)

Now, I get to pass the blog hop around. You guys get to answer these questions about your current WIP on your blogs!

- Amelia Lynn from Will Write for Sushi
- Cosmam at Cosmam's Awesome Site

What's your next big thing?